Sunday, July 5, 2015

Going Solo - Chapter 2.2

Dad surprised us all with a sudden trip to Isla Paradiso.  I had never gone on a vacation before or even left Bridgeport, so it was pretty awesome being here.  We arrived in town and were given use of the studio's houseboat.  Dad had filmed a movie here years back and he said it was just as he remembered.


Still, he said we would only be using the houseboat part of the time. We had 5 days here and he was checking us into a really nice resort in town.  Mom and I were blown away be this impromptu trip. 


Dad set us up in the tower.  He and Mom had their room and I had one of my own.  It was so cool to look out and see a bright, blue ocean rather than the dull, gray that I was used to back home.


Once we checked in, we went straight to the pool.  I had never been in a hot tub before.  Dad said that he used to have one in his old house and hopefully we would have one of our own soon.


The afternoon was going perfect and Dad finally told Mom exactly why he had surprised us with the trip.


In order to avoid a wedding of chaos with paparazzi running around, he had arranged a private beach ceremony here at the resort.  Mom said she never imagined getting married in a swimsuit, but seeing how most things in our live had been unorthodox, this actually seemed to fit.


It was so strange to be there and not have all the photographer's running around like crazy.  Most of the resort staff attended as well.


We all kinda felt silly dressed the way we were but it was the islands and things work just a bit differently here.  I really liked it here and never realized how different life could be outside of the big city.


This was a perfect, semi-private ceremony and I was so happy for my parents.  They really had made the most out of some tough times.  Finally, our family was complete.  And for the first time, I truly felt like a Hamming.


When the ceremony ended, mom and dad headed upstairs for some alone time.  I didn't mind because I got to explore the pool bar.  The bartender was really cool and I got to try some new fruity drink that he created.  I could get to like this stuff!


When my parents finally tore themselves away from each other on our second day, Dad took us back to the houseboat.  He was actually a pretty good captain but both of us suffered a bit from sea sickness.


Mom was enjoying the deck and getting some sun.  I could tell that she was happier than she had ever been before.  


While Dad steered the boat out towards the open sea, I tried my hand at making some of those drinks that I had at the bar.  I couldn't quite get the hang of it but it was fun trying!


Eventually, the rocking seas got the better of me.  I didn't want to ruin Mom and Dad's honeymoon, but thankfully, Dad suffered the same fate as me!


We finally anchored out in the ocean and Dad taught us both how to snorkel.  He was insanely good and I really enjoyed it as well.  I could never have done this back home in Bridgeport!


But Mom and I both peed our wet suits when the first shark appeared.  He didn't mess with us, but Dad told us to keep our distance.  They can be extremely deadly.


Mom was the fist to head underwater.  She really seemed to get the hang of it quickly.  Dad waited up top with me to make sure that I was not getting too tired.  It was exhausting swimming around all afternoon.


But soon enough, I was underwater as well.  I discovered a really cool Nautilus shell.  It's going in my room when we get home.  Mom and Dad both caught some fish and Mom even got brave enough to explore a cave while we were there.


On the way back to the resort, I asked Dad why he brought me.  It seemed kind of strange to bring your kid on your honeymoon.  Dad laughed and said that this marriage was more than the two of them.  It was all of us as a family, the way it should be.  He hugged me and told me that he wouldn't have left me at home for any reason.  It sure made me forget about that stupid prom and those uppity classmates at school!


I was too tired to do anything but crawl into bed.  However, Mom and Dad just couldn't keep their hands off each other.  It was nice having the whole resort.  They had their privacy and I had mine.  So far, this is an awesome vacation and I can't wait to see what we do tomorrow!



3 comments:

  1. Awww How romantic is Matthew, he takes the whole family to the Islands for a beach wedding that was beautiful. Hayden was extremely happy to finally be officially a family. It was very nice to see them spend some quality time scuba diving and enjoying the Island.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...congrats to them. Perfect way to escape the reporters and have their wedding be just the family. What a wonderful family vacation and now they are an 'official' family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww yay! it's pretty close to a fairy tale wedding/vacation/honeymoon.

    Hayden seems like a has a pretty good head on his shoulders, didn't let the fame of his parents go to his head. I wonder if the islands are where he is going to settle down?

    ReplyDelete