Sunday, July 5, 2015

Going Solo - Chapter 1.5

Life in the new house was very different.  I could see that Hayden was really enjoying have his own room and was branching out creatively.  He enjoyed painting but really took to writing quite easily.  I was so glad to have read so many books to him when he was younger.


Matthew has been embroiled in a major scandal and the paparazzi have been all over his home, mine, and every where in between.  Late at night, we do tend to find some privacy in the subway of all places.  It's difficult but it is really hard on Matthew.  I try to remain strong for him but it really takes its toll.


I've been very thankful for the cold weather.  It has made wearing a disguise much easier.  Still, I look forward to the day that this will all be behind us.  Although he doesn't say anything, I can tell that Hayden would like to get to know his father and have him around.


Some nights after I meet with Matthew, I just have to walk around to clear my head.  Bridgeport is dangerous but the gift of vampirism does have some benefits.  I do feel that I can take care of any one or thing that thinks I might be an easy target.


Romeo stopped by this morning and I was asked to sign some papers that Matthew's attorney's had sent with him. He told me that things were progressing well at the trial and then let something slip that he shouldn't have.


I pressed him for more information as I could not attend any part of the trial.  He told me that Matthew had signed a plea bargain and if the District Attorney accepted it, he would be able to escape some of the heaviest penalties.


Within hours, Matthew was at my door.  He told me about the bargain. He would not see any jail time.  His brother's name would be cleared. The bulk of the charges would go towards Kirby's father.  Kirby was not going to be charged in any wrongdoing and would be receiving sole custody of the children.  She would also retain the house and most of the assets.


I asked him if he was sure about the plea bargain.  It still meant that he may never see his children.  Matthew said that he had to relinquish that one point and that is the reason that Kirby would not be charged.  She would need to be a mother to the children.  They did talk and she said that she did believe he needed to be involved in their children's lives but wanted to let some time pass for things to heal.  Matthew knew he couldn't trust her but he had to have hope that maybe she would be true to her word.  At least they were speaking rationally.


And then, he took me by surprise.  He said that all he could think about after leaving the courthouse was seeing me and Hayden.  We were the most important people in his life.  I could see that he missed his boys but I just enjoyed the passion and the hope that things were going to be better soon.


We spoke for hours and it finally hit me that Matthew was homeless.  He could not go back to his house anymore now that Kirby had full possession.  I asked where he was staying.  He said that he was crashing at the studio for now.  I told him that he was staying here from now on.  He tried to protest, but I insisted.  I could see that he was relieved and extremely happy - almost as much as me!


Hayden woke up early and came to my room like always and was shocked to see Matthew was here.  Matthew explained that he would be here as long as his mom would allow.  He hoped it would be permanent.  Still, he wanted to know how Hayden felt about that first.


I woke up just to hear the end of their conversation.  Hayden was crying.  At first, I thought he was upset.  But then I could see that he was happy.  I had to turn away so that he wouldn't see me crying as well.  All I ever wanted for him seemed like it could actually come true.  It had too.


I met Matthew for the end of the trial and when we left the courtroom, we were free from everything.  Matthew was able to clear his brother, his boys would still have a home and their mother, he had me and Hayden, and the studio had decided to back him after all.  There was loss, but we looked for everything good that we had and knew we could build on that.


A few months later, as the press around the trial died down, we finally got to have some alone time around town.  I was so happy that things were going so well.  I could not imagine feeling any better than I did right then.


Until Matthew dropped to one knee.


He told me that Hayden and I were the only ones that had stuck by him.  He had never met anyone like me, that wanted him and not what he could offer.  If I still wanted him at his worst, then he knew that he had found the only thing that mattered in the whole world.


I couldn't breathe when he actually uttered the words "Will you marry me?".  I hoped that I wasn't going to pass out but I was feeling light-headed.


Of course I said yes!  


We were covered in a thick fog as he slid the ring on my finger.  I was shaking and still didn't know what more to say.  It seemed so surreal to be in this moment.


His hands were warm and I could feel him trembling as well.  I knew that he had commitment issues in the past, but this was a different Matthew.  He was clear headed and never wavered.  I felt like the luckiest woman alive.


Without warning, I jumped into his arms.  This was all I could have ever hoped for.  The father of my child wants me and he wants Hayden.  We were going to be a family.  I couldn't wait to tell Hayden the news.


I held him tight for as long as I could.  I was shivering in the early morning cold.  Still, there was nowhere else that I would rather be at this moment.


** Sorry the pictures were dark.  Bridgeport was perfect and then the fog started rolling in.  I could have waited for another night, but the timing was just perfect for them.

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy do I understand about the weather working against you and I feel your pain on that.

    This was a really nice update the legal problems are all solved and Sela and Matthew are not engaged. I'm sure Matthew is going to miss his children but he will get to know Hayden now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww wow. That was a great update. I hope Kirby doesn't try to turn his boys against him. Hopefully he got some visitation rights or something. The boys are an innocent victim in all of this and they shouldn't have to lose their father.

    I'm glad things worked out for Sela and Matthew. Now they can be a family like she wanted before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to the happy couple. It sounds like most things worked out for them. I am trying not to see impending doom like I usually do with some of these stories, haha!

    ReplyDelete