Saturday, July 11, 2015

Going Solo - Chapter 2.9

Coming home from school with a degree was more than enough for me, but Mom and Dad had something different in mind.  Once I had gotten home, they told me that they had arranged for me to have my own vacation in Hidden Springs.  I had been wanting to go there for a long time as I knew they had some excellent camping spots there.  I knew that I wanted Ashley to join me and she was more than willing.  Apparently, Mom and Dad move pretty quick behind my back when I'm not looking.  Ashley arrived to Bridgeport packed and ready to head to the mountains.


Dad had arranged for a cottage that we could use instead of a hotel.  It was tucked away under the redwoods and it was unlike anything I had ever experienced in my whole life.  It was hard not to get swept away in the romance of it and Ashley certainly agreed!


I had been planning since earlier in the year to ask Ashley to marry me.  We never really talked about it while in school, but with college behind us, it was time to start thinking about our future together.


Dad had told me how he proposed to Mom and that his hands shook because of how nervous he was.  In an instant, I understood exactly how he felt.


Her answer was yes and we made use of that cottage immediately!  For us, time had just stood still and it was amazing being there together.


Eventually, we made our way to a spectacular lookout point of Hidden Springs.  Ashley said she had never seen anything more beautiful.  I told her that I had...and I pulled her in close so that I could see it again.


Ashley knew how famous my family was and that life was going to be crazy with little privacy allowed.  We were sheltered in college mostly and it was the same here.  She was scared that a wedding would become a major event and she really wanted something simple and intimate.


I told you that I had surprises in store for her.  Hearing this made me very happy as I had suspected that this was exactly what she would want.  I reminded her that my whole life I had tried to keep private moments just that - private.  I wanted our wedding to be the same.


Over the next few days, we took many trips up here and really tried to let our creativity come to life.  It was a magnificent view which made it very difficult to not be inspired.


Each night we would take in the sunsets and let the world fall away from us.  For us, there truly was no one else in existence and that was just the way we wanted it.


On one of our last nights up at the lookout, we decided that we would exchange rings and elope.  We would stop by City Hall in the morning and make it legal, but for tonight, we would make the memory the way we wanted it.


I finally understood the way Dad would look at Mom and how they seemed to be in their own private world.  For Ashley and I, it was exactly the same.  I wished that they could have been here, but I'm sure they will understand.


I took Ashley in my arms and told her that this was more than I could have ever hoped for.  I hoped that she would be happy in Bridgeport with me.  Ashley said that she was excited to start our life there and looked forward to the day that we would have a little one of our very own.


The second half of our trip was a bit unlike what Ashley was expecting.  I asked her if she liked camping.  She said that she had never been.  "If you're up for it, I hear that Hidden Springs has one of the best campground areas around.  What do you say?"

"Of course!  It sounds like fun!"


We checked in and they gave us pretty much free reign of the grounds.  Not too many people were camping this week, so again we had the privacy that we were looking for.


Ashley took some time to spray down for mosquitoes while I fired up the grill and got dinner ready for us.  It was so peaceful out under the stars tucked away in the shadow of the mountains.


We got the bonfire blazing and sat out watching the stars.  This was turning into the perfect honeymoon for us both.


Ashley fell in love with the athletic facilities that were there.  She completely annihilated me on the soccer field.  Some of the staff came out to cheer us on!


My strength was the archery range.  Ashley had some trouble pulling on the bow, so she sat out and watched me.  I gotta say, I was a bit nervous that I might make a fool of myself but as it turns out, I took to it pretty quickly.


Ashley snapped this picture on her phone and sent it to my Mom and Dad.  We had pretty much stayed out of contact, but her text message that went along said "I think I've lost him for the entire afternoon!"


Most of the days were full of activity but we did take an afternoon to just relax out by the water.  The campground backed right up to it and it was hard to imagine that there was a bustling town just a short drive down the road.


Our last night in Hidden Springs, I took Ashley downtown.  We were going to eat at the Bistro but we decided to dance out on the deck by the diner.  Before we knew it, the restaurant was closed.  The diner turned out to be just fine though for us.


As much as I couldn't take my eyes off my new wife, I did have to marvel at the majestic mountains and waterfalls rising up behind the town.  The brochures did not do the place justice at all.


Next door was a skating rink.  After a certain hour, it turned into a popular dance club.  The staff at the diner said that we should check it out while we are here and it turned out to be alot of fun.


While Ashley was skating, I struck up some conversations with some of the locals.  I really wanted to know more about what daily life was like here in Hidden Springs. I met Amber Donovan, a newlywed, that had just moved in as well.  We exchanged emails and she said that she would send me information as she became more acquainted with the town.  

*(Amber is one of the founders of my Generations LP and it was funny that they ran in to each other here!) 


When we got home, I couldn't wait to share the news that Ashley and I had gotten married.  I was scared that Mom and Dad would be upset that they didn't get to throw a fancy wedding, but they both couldn't have been happier for us.


Mom told me that they had secretly hoped that the two of us would get married there.  Ashley had returned to her home to pack for her move to Bridgeport.  I was going to drive down to help her this afternoon.  But first, it was time for a big breakfast and share all the details, well, almost all, of our wedding/honeymoon in Hidden Springs!


3 comments:

  1. Congratulations to the Happy Couple and it was a beautiful ceremony. I guess that you are using the traveler mod as I love how you are going to all these different worlds. I'm hoping for the happy couple to have a long and happy life together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww what a sweet update. Congrats to the new happy couple!!! I'm so happy for them and I'm glad Hayden's life is heading in the direction he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to the happy couple. I love the cottage they stayed in. Did you build it? They really got the most out of their vacation.

    Haha, I love it when you run into familiar characters!

    ReplyDelete